Accessory Dwelling Unit. Image by Sightline Institute
Federal ADMINISTRATION HIGHLIGHTS ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS AS A STRATEGY TO INCREASE AFFORDABLE HOUSING STOCK AT WHITE HOUSE EVENT, CALLS FOR ZONING REFORM
The Biden administration hosted a virtual webinar on February 1st, highlighting accessory dwelling units (ADUs) as one way to increase affordable housing stock across the country. An esteemed group of fourteen thought leaders, advocates, and government officials from across the country convened to share their expertise and insights, advocate for ADUs, and discuss current barriers in many communities that hinder their development.
Watch the Webinar here:
Highlights from the webinar:
ADUs offer flexibility, affordability, and potential income to both homeowners and renters. In particular, panelists noted that ADUs:
· Can help to address the oversupply and high cost of single family homes across the nation.
· Empower homeowners to make decisions about the use of their privately-owned residential properties.
· Increase housing supply and diversity.
· Offer an affordable, multigenerational housing option. Panelist Rodney Harrell of AARP stated that 60% of adults would be open to living in ADUs.
· Enable renters to live near where they work and contribute to walkability. (Check out AARP’s Livability Index to see how livable your community is.)
· Help homeowners generate income and financial leverage.
Check out this FBCI blog post for more details!